We all want to have fun at the beach; luckily just moments away from Alstonville, the Ballina Shire has over 32km of golden sands, sheltered coves, spectacular surfing breaks and vast open beaches.
There is a beach for everyone whether you are a family, have dogs, horses or a 4Wd, or perhaps you want to fish, sail or jetski. You will also find driving the Coast Road between Ballina and Lennox stunning.
Following on from our last blog Travelling With Pets. Beach days can be a blast when you bring along a canine friend or two but taking a dog to the beach requires some preparation, know-how and a little common sense — or should that be canine sense?
Check out how to keep your pet safe at the beach at http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/5-safety-tips-for-taking-your-dog-to-the-beach/
Dogs on Ballina beaches
Dogs can exercise, roam freely and socialise under supervision at the following beaches:
- Sharpes Beach, Ballina – leash required
- Angels Beach, Ballina – leash required
- Seven Mile Beach, Lennox – North of Lake Ainsworth –off leash, effective control
- The Sand Spit, Richmond River, Ballina – off leash
- Patchs Beach – off leash, 500m North and 500m South of access point
Or download the brochure here:
Top Dog Beach
Seven Mile Beach at Lennox Head is ranked ‘Top Dog Beach’ on TripAdvisor and there is plenty of room for all the family to enjoy the sun, sea and freshwater lake.
OFF LEASH DOG EXERCISE AREAS
Council has other areas where dogs can be exercised off leash
- Bicentennial Gardens – Northern end of the reserve, Ballina
- Ballina Heights Estate – Eastern reserve area, Ballina Heights
- Headlands Drive Drainage Reserve, Skennars Head
- Compton Drive, East Ballina
- Gap Road, Alstonville
Alstonville Country Cottages welcomes you and your dogs and there are off leash walks on the property especially through the rainforest to Duck Creek where your dogs and you can enjoy a swim!
HORSE RIDING ON BALLINA BEACHES
Horses are permitted on:
- Seven Mile Beach, Lennox Head north of Lake Ainsworth with access from the rear of the lake.
- Patchs Beach, South Ballina also has access for horses and out of season or in the week you will find you have the beach to yourself.
You can also hire a horse and ride along this beautiful windswept beach from http://www.tassirikiranch.com.au/
Bring your own horse
Alstonville Country Cottages can also provide accommodation for your horses. Conditions apply .
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
4WD VEHICLES ON BEACHES
- Seven Mile Beach – Vehicles with 4WD permits are permitted on Seven Mile Beach, Lennox Head north of Lake Ainsworth.
Permits are available from the automatic kiosk that is located opposite the Lennox Head Surf Club. All vehicles must adhere to the Guidelines for 4WD Vehicles http://www.ballina.nsw.gov.au
- South Ballina Beach – Vehicles are permitted on South Ballina Beach (south only from the access point on South Ballina Beach Road). No permit is required but need to be aware of the Pied Oyster Catcher breeding program.